First Steps® ACP Facilitator Certification
The First Steps® (FS) ACP Facilitator Certification course is designed to help participants learn the skills needed to facilitate foundational ACP discussions with any adult.
FS ACP Facilitator Certification is intended for healthcare providers (nurses, all levels of social workers, health educators, and physicians), clergy, and others involved in providing ACP facilitation.
The purpose of this program is to assist participants in learning effective communication and interview skills for person-centered ACP facilitation.
- Identify interview skills for facilitating FS conversations with healthy adults.
- Identify interview skills for facilitating FS for adults with chronic illness.
- Create strategies to communicate the plan, including the completion of an advance directive document.
- Examine the ACP Facilitator’s role in implementing 3 key systems for ACP effectiveness.
- Demonstrate beginning competency in facilitating FS conversations through role-play activities.
Initial Certification Requirements
- Completion of the FS ACP Facilitator Certification Online Curriculum (Modules 1-4)
- Completion of the FS ACP Facilitator Certification classroom training (8-hour classroom instruction)
Ongoing Certification Requirements
Currently, RC has no ongoing recertification requirements. It is recommended that recertification requirements be established and monitored by the Facilitator’s sponsoring organization and RC Instructors. RC intends to establish recertification requirements in the future.